I love Pancake Day. We always had pancakes for dinner on Pancake Day when I was growing up, but when I moved here somehow I just kept missing the day... for several years. Then we moved house, and moved close to the marvellous Kristie Kerr, who remembers every holiday there ever was, and so for the last three years we have had pancakes for lunch, on Shrove Tuesday. I think now that I know that Shrove Tuesday is the same day as Mardi Gras I might actually be able to remember it on my own.
Shrove Tuesday is the last day before the start of Lent. You were supposed to go to confession and be 'shriven' ie relieved of your sins. So my confession for today is that even though I'm supposed to be avoiding sugar, I ate loads of yummy pancakes with nutella, bananas and whipped cream for lunch.
This is one of the skills I am most proud of as an adult - I can flip pancakes! My pan was a bit sticky so there were not as many flips as last year - I will have to invest in a new pan before next year. Thanks to Kristie for the action shot!
9 comments:
I am so jealous! The pancakes look so good and you guys look like you're having so much fun. Hmm, maybe we'll have pancakes for dinner (even though it's no longer Shrove Tuesday here ;)
Alex makes the BEST pancakes in the world!!!
ps I love nutella!
We did pancakes for FHE, although they weren't a hit for the children. I don't know what there's not to like about pancakes with melted chocolate and marshmallows?! Our pan left something to be desired, too. There was no flipping at our house, just scraping off the bottom. We need to invest! xx
I'm so excited to have learned about this holiday with more about Mardi-Gras! Thanks for sharing! Those pancakes look so awesome Alex! Way to go on remembering to celebrate!
That looks sooo good! I hope you are having a good pregnancy. When are you due again? May, I think, the same time as me.:)
Glad you remembered such a yummy holiday!
We have Waffle Wednesday's here. ha ha I have never had Nutella...what is it? what do you do with it?
Tiffany - Nutella is the best thing in the world (just ask Kristie!) It's a chocolate/hazelnut spread - cheapest at Fresh and Easy. We only have it on pancakes because it is just too evil to have in the house on a regular basis. I would eat it with a spoon!!
How fun! You will have to show me how to flip the pancakes like that. We had waffles for dinner tonight.
Pretty fun, there, lady...consider this my education in Pancake Tuesday! Apparently, I'm a big remedial in all things Mardi Gras. Take care!
Post a Comment